Monday, September 29, 2008

No Bailout?

I am a little perturbed that the House failed to pass the bailout bill. I'll be fine, although, I will have to get my symphony and opera tickets one show at a time, like a heathen. I've played poor before, and enjoyed it. A long time ago, I had a studio apartment, in Phoenix, where a lot of students and laborers lived. It was horribly unfashionable, but completely safe, near a number of car dealerships. My neighbors and I had a pot luck supper, a good three or four times a week, and they were wonderful! In this context, a pot luck is really whatever. That is to say, a part of a meal, a bag of chips, some dip, or even two or three dollars that we could pool into a case of really bad beer. If you were too broke for that, it was cool. Just come, you'll make it up next time. Pretty much, everybody did. When I got promoted, I moved into a nicer place. It was nicer, but much less fun. Although in hindsight, I'm sure I would've gotten bored with our little dinners, I certainly didn't think so, nor would I have said so, at the time.

What surprised me more then the House failing to protect the American economy, was a reason why... Barney Frank is saying that republicans had been offended by Nancy Pelosi's remarks. I didn't see her remarks, and I have no difficulty in believing that she used some hyperbole, but for republicans to vote against a measure, that is this important, because a democrat said something snotty, is a little ridiculous. It sounds like something a Hillary-Head would say, to justify the switch from a liberal position to a conservative one. A very high toned pretense of spite. What is that about? So what if one of your co-workers happened to tick you off, what does that have to do with your job? Nobody cares that this bill was put fourth by an unpopular president, whether or not he's liked, we expect him to do his job, and he did do it. It was the House that didn't.

No comments: