Thursday, April 10, 2008

Elton in NY

Was it okay for Elton John, a non-US citizen to give that concert? I know that HRC says that it's fine for anyone to volunteer their time in support of her, but I'm wondering. It wasn't as if the man was stuffing envelopes, he's on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of immortals. His music is a product. His band was surely paid (I hope, though I won't guess by whom) was this really legal? Two million dollars raised is a healthy amount of money, but it won't pay back HRC's loan.

It was bad form to slam Ronald Reagan. The man's been out of office for nearly twenty years. He's also been on the brown side of the grass for a few. It made the papers, odd that he didn't hear.

It was certainly bad form of him to criticize this nation, calling us misogynist, just because few of us support her. I wouldn't support anybody who got caught doing and saying the things she got caught doing and saying. I don't appreciate being called a bad person over it. There is an entire nation at stake, not to mention our effect on the rest of the world, this should be more important than a bitter woman's opportunity to save a little face.

This country has been very good to Elton John, and I've enjoyed his music for years. I won't be boycotting him, but he's not likely to come out with much more anyway. He does have plenty of laurels on which to rest. I just can't help but feel a little sad, he's gotten so very cranky in his old age, but I guess that's HRC's demographic.

No comments: